Saturday, January 28, 2006

What else is there to know?

Coffee is brilliant – some of the best I’ve tasted. None of us expected that in the town of Debark we would come across the best cappucinos ever, and even on the trail we had excelled coffee provided by our cook (albeit a little on the strong side). My personal favourite was when the Gondar airport café treated us to free macchiatos when our flight was delayed. On our arrival back to Addis there was little time for shopping or tourism, however we did make the essential stop at Tomoca Café to buy our supplies to take back home.

Petrol stations range from the extremely modern to the very basic and in the rural towns we saw many of these…and much to the amusement I think of my companions I photographed many of them – research I called it. There were two memorable sites – one had a dirt forecourt with a donkey & cart parked at the pump (unfortunately I missed that photo opportunity) and a modern one in Addis where they were selling wedding dresses in the Shell Shop.


Injera is often compared to a dishcloth in the mostly disparaging reviews in the guide books. However on the trip we became great fans of the nation dish and staple food throughout the country. Personally I liked the vegetarian versions with the spicy lentils, but the meat wat was pretty good too!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?